Monday, October 21, 2013

Six Weeks and the Cat's Outta The Bag

Well, here we go again.  Six weeks pregnant.  I forgot how much fun it is to be exhausted and perpetually nauseated.  Last time I waited until I was into my second trimester before publicly announcing the news.  This time the announcement comes much sooner.

I went to the doctor's office and had my pregnancy confirmed just a few days shy of six weeks, and I decided to go ahead and alert the media at work as to my "condition."  My bosses took the news somewhat better than the first time around, which is saying something.

**I should explain that when I started my current job over two years ago, I was currently pregnant with my first child.  It didn't happen that way on purpose--it was one of those annoyingly long interview processes where it was a good month between my initial application and the first interview, and then almost another month before I sat for another two interviews before they offered me the job.**

Between both of my pregnancy announcements at work, I could compile a pretty dandy HR "What Not To Do" presentation.  I've had bosses ask me:  "Was it planned?"  "You sure don't look like you're pregnant."  "Does this mean that you're going to quit in nine months?"  And I've also received comments such as:  "Wow.  That's early..."  "Thanks for telling me, but it really doesn't affect me unless this is your way of telling me that you're going to quit."

I've had good comments as well, but you would think that given what these people do for a living, they would be more P.C. about the subject.

Anyway, we have tried to prepare our first born for what's to come, but he's still a bit young to fully grasp the concept.  We did get a pretty good preview of how he's going to handle "sharing Mommy" when our friends brought over their six week old to visit.  When he walked into the room and saw me cradling that little bundle, he lost it.  Big, fat tears rolling down his tomato-red face and sobs so franctic he could barely catch his breath.  It helped somewhat when I pulled him onto one side of my lap with the baby on the other, but his crying started a chain reaction which ended the experiment.  At least we have another eight months to get him used to the idea.

I apologize now for the fact that my pregnancy will likely take over my blog for at least the next eight months, but a pregnant woman's life with a toddler in tow has got to make for good reading, right?

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations!!! Can't wait to see Forrest as a big brother! :)

    ReplyDelete