Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Adventures in (Temporary) Single Parenting

Inspired by my preggo friend Jill who recently started her own blog, I am finally diving into the world of blogging.  I might not have anything interesting to say, and maybe no one will ever read my blogs, but I owe it to the English major inside of me to give it a try.  The name "Running on Sanders Time" is a nod to my husband's family and its fast and loose treatment of punctuality (love you all, I swear! and the phrase was coined long before I came onto the scene).  Anyway, here goes nothing:

First, let me start out by singing the praises of any truly single parent out there who day-in/day-out tirelessly cares for their child(ren) without the aid of a spouse/significant other/family member/friend.  You are a super hero, rock star, and saint for doing what you do.  That being said...I couldn't do it.  I need my husband.  Steve, not that I think you are plotting anything, but if you ever try to leave me...I will come with you.

My husband has been traveling for work on a nearly weekly basis this past month, and things just aren't quite the same without him at home.  Don't get me wrong--I love having the one-on-one time with Forrest, but Mommy can't make the sound that an elephant makes, and Mommy hates having to take the trash out in the rain.  But despite the shortage of "Da-Da" around here, we've survived and aren't any worse for the wear because of it.

Now that Da-Da has an Iphone, we are able to Facetime with him, which is quite the event.  Forrest seems to have finally grasped the concept of the remote video feed and figured out that the talking head on the screen that looks like Da-Da is "Da-Da!"  So he's moved onto waving at the screen and saying "hi-ya," and kissing the screen (so cute it melts your heart!).  Although, he still hasn't figured out that pushing the "end" button will, in fact, end the call, thus, each session is conducted in multiple acts.

Who knows?  Maybe Forrest prefers life with Mommy:  last night he ate half a bag of SmartPop and a few bites of frozen lasagna for dinner, watched the end of Pitch Perfect and half an episode of Family Guy while Mommy inhaled her lasagna, got to stay up almost an hour past his usual bedtime, and went to sleep with no less than five blankies, one bear, and a monkey.  He did sleep 10 1/2 hours without a peep and woke up with a huge grin on his face, so you be the judge.

Gee, the only thing that this blog entry is missing is some ridiculously cute "Mommy and Me" picture or a picture of some fiasco or chaos that has ensued while Daddy is away...do I even need to explain that I didn't have the time or the presence of mind to capture one?  So instead I will leave you with this:

The Most Interesting Men in the World

Photo: The three most interesting men in the world

1 comment: